A range of capacity building and support services are offered by the Language Perspectives team.
Capacity building services are delivered by Language Perspectives staff in a variety of modes such as workshops, on site visits and online.
Capacity building includes:
- resources to scaffold teachers' ability to add SAE linguistic resources to EAL/D learners and support the implementation of ACARA
- Language Leader training (online, 2 hours x 18 weeks) to develop the capability of school leaders to provide instructional language leadership at their school site
- EAL EssentiALs workshops (4 days): training in; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander language ecologies, pedagogical practices for EAL/D learners including the use of Education Queensland's Break it Down, Build it Up pedagogical framework and the use of the department's EAL/D bandscales to meet EAL/D policy requirements
- individual school workshops/presentations tailored to school context and staff needs, addressing the local language situations and linguistic complexity in classrooms
- on-going coaching—sessions build staff capacity to include explicit instruction in SAE and to support professional learning and to improve EAL/D students' performance
- linguistic analysis of student work samples, school programs and classroom content to review and reflect on pedagogical practices for school improvement
- projects to build community capacity to understand their local language ecologies
- planning and resource development with speakers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander traditional languages to implement traditional language programs in schools
- facilitating networks of language leaders and key stakeholders through EAL/D networking days across the state
- modelled high quality practices in recognising, respecting and responding to Aboriginal and TSI language backgrounds
- support for pre-service teacher training through university courses and additional professional development offerings.
Email the Language Perspective team for more details.